Burtonesque Gibson Girl

Very pleased with this blousewaist I made! I used Folkwear ‘Gibson Girl Blouse’ pattern for it. The skirt is a recycled piece I made a couple of years ago (Truly Victorian 298) and I made the belt pattern myself. Hat is from the lovely Kat’s Lullaby.

elfia 2017 Arcen-175
image by Bert Jan Schaapherder
_DSC1485
image by Marc Chaslin
Advertisements

Those turn- of-the-century summer vibes

20728803_10213018235918019_133834747757795929_o
image by Bart Kools

Meet the swimming team: Jessie (costume handmade by herself, inspired by some gorgeous period photographs) me and Patrick (costumes handmade by me, life guard costume also inspired by a period photograph) Charlotte (costume handmade by herself, gorgeous fabric choice) Maartje (costume also handmade by herself, so cute with the headscarf!) Theresia (costume handmade by me, not historically correct but so so cute) and Desirée (amazing underpinnings costume also handmade by herself)

20643103_1644830592196262_177990244228332958_o.jpg
image by Wendy de Glee

Here you can see the inspiration for the costumes I did: A vintage life guard picture was the inspiration for Patrick’s suit. I used a Folkwear bathing suit pattern and countless of Pinterest pictures for my own costume, and the one Theresia is wearing was sort of inspired by the Sweeney Todd beach scene. I also found these amazing examples of Victorian/Edwardian sports bags, which I tried to reproduce with some leftover fabric.

Regency costume adventures

I may not have had the chance to wear these pieces yet, but I would still like to share some working pictures of them. A little regency collection!

I learned a lot from this project: everything apart from the spencer was hand sewn, no machine involved! My stitches have become very neat, I made a lot of bias tape, did a lot of pleating and learned to flat fell seams. I improvised the pattern of the spencer, and used up a lot of stash fabrics. I still might want to make a spencer (or maybe pelisse) by hand, though…

Ghost dress bonus picture:

Patterns used: